What's is the most effective product? The answer can't be expressed in a few words. Let's try to make a comprehensive analysis for common Self Defense Tool
1. Pepper Spray
This is the most common attack type Self Defense Product. It is light, compact and easy to use. It can quickly make the infringer lose his visual ability, and has a great effect on stopping infringement.
However the pepper spray is directional, although the pepper spray has a certain efficient coverage, you must aim its nozzle at the infringer’s face to make it effective. Moreover, the use of self-defense pepper spray is different with other pharmaceutical spray. The Users do not have enough time to find out the direction of the nozzle. In a panic, we must not only take out the pepper spray immediately, but also aim the nozzle at the target quickly.
This requires the design of such products to allow users to identify the direction of nozzle quickly. Below are two good designs and one failed design.
Good design 1: Pepper Spray For Women with hook, the hook also plays the role of direction discrimination
Good design 2: A pepper spray for self defense designed specifically for night runners. The direction of the spray nozzle is indicated by the tilt angle and the red button.
Bad design: Imitate lipstick shape, but the direction of nozzle is not obvious, it is easy to spray to yourself in panic
2. Stun Gun/ Electroshock Baton
Stun Gun/ Electroshock Baton, etc., instantaneously generate high voltages of tens of thousands of volts, to incapacitate the invaders. Although the effect is obvious, electroshock weapon are still not suitable for women’s Self Defense. Because it not only has directivity, but also has a very short effect distance. It must be close to the target’s body to be effective. The user may not dare to approach the invader in extreme panic, and approaching the invader may cause the user to fall into a more dangerous situation. Electroshock products are more suitable for professionally trained police and security people. When there are certain restrictions on the target’s body, they can use electroshock weapon to incapacitate the target.
The high brightness flashlight stimulates the eyes of the invaders with high-frequency flashes, temporarily blinding them. It is suitable for keeping a certain distance from the invaders, and can also act as a SOS signal at night. It is a better Self Defense Weapon For Women because there is no need close to the body. The user can keep a certain distance from the invader, reducing the possibility of not dare use the weapon due to fear in panic.
High Brightness Flashligh
4. Physical attack enhancement
Add some spikes or hard materials to daily supplies to change them into Self Defense Weapons under emergency. Although these products seem to be in accordance to the definition of Everyday Carry Self Defense Tools, and they can enhance women's physical attack power. But for most women who have not been trained professionally, it is very difficult to perform effective physical attacks. Together with fear and panic, these self defense weapons are likely to be captured by the enemy before they work, instead cause greater damage for yourself. Therefore, the design of these products has two main points: 1) Can not be easily taken away. 2) Enhance the simplest and most effective physical attack, and reduce the requirement of combat skills. The following device is a good example. It is specially designed for Night Runner. It can be fixed on the shoes’ surface with shoelaces to enhance the kicking power (crotch).
Kuba-Kickz Self Defense Control Device. The self-defense device designed for outdoor runners can be fixed on sports shoes.
Self Defense Keychain, relatively mediocre design, probably hurt yourself.
Personal alarm can emit high-frequency, high-decibel sounds to attract the attention of people around and deter invanders. It is a popular one among non-active attacking self defense products.
Its greatest strength is the design of interactive mode. In order to trigger the alarm, you just need pull the key ring and pull out the plug inserted in the egg structure. To stop the alarm, you need to reinsert the pin. However, the hole is very small, so to insert is not as easy as to pull it out, and once the plug is pulled out, it will be separated from the main body. In this way, if the invader wants to stop the alarm, the victim will be given time to escape, otherwise the alarm will continue to sound. If the alarm does not adopt this design, instead use a button to switch on and off of the alarm, the invader will grab it and turn it off easily. There are also some alarms that can connect to the phone via Bluetooth, activate the phone's automatic alarm function, and send GPS coordinates. If the function is stable and reliable, it is also a good design.
Based on the above analysis, I summarized several key points in choosing Self Defense Products:
1. The product should be as small and portable as possible, and it won’t increase too much burden to daily carrying.
2. The shape and color must have a certain degree of recognizability, which is very convenient for users to identify and grab when emergency.
3. For products with attack directivity (pepper spray, stun gun, flashlight), the direction indication should be obvious to avoid hurting yourself in panic accidently.
3. The interaction method should be as simple and clear as possible, because the user's judgement under emergency may decline.
4. For cold weapons with a low hit probability, corresponding measures should be taken into consideration to prevent the weapons from being taken away by the invader, thus revenged by enemy.
5. For alarm products, the trigger mechanism should be as simple as possible, and the stop mechanism should be appropriately complex.
6. Avoid using batteries as much as possible. Due to the low frequency of use Self Defense Weapons, users are likely to forget to charge / replace the battery; if the battery must be used, the battery life should be clearly marked and the user should be reminded in a significant way to charge / replace the battery on time, in case the tools become invalid at zero hour
More Self Defense Weapons For Women, Click Here